Free thoughts on language learning

Discussions on learning Spanish, English and other language issues. Occasionally, we may stray from language learning topics if there is something that catches my interest.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

I Tango Show & Argentine Idiom Question


















Hi all. I'll be out of touch for a few days due to my good fortune at being the stage manager for a Tango show performing at New York University this coming Tues - Thurs (July 25, 26 & 27). The dancers are terrific and the tango orchestra, Color Tango are truly amazing musicians. We perfomed Friday evening in Stowe, Vermont at the Trapp Family Lodge. (think Maria von Trappe, as in The Sound of Music. Yes this is a real family) Click here for tickets.

My wife and I are pretty new to Tango in that we have only been studying for a year and a half. What I'm not used to is the custom of dancing to live music played by the same "concert musicians" who ones pays to hear play on a stage. It breaks what I consider to be the traditional separation between the musicians and the dancers. These are no longer the "artistes" who we look at and adore from afar. I think it's a much healthier way to interact with the music and it takes the pressure off the musicians to be perfect at every moment and allows them to just make beautiful music.

My spanish, which I consider to be intermediate level, is getting quite a workout as most of the performers do not speak english. The lighting designer, Anabel Rea, and I were talking about putting on a show on really short notice with limited resources and I introduced him to the english expression, "Close enough for jazz" and "Close enough for government work". Both of these mean that something is good enough given the context. He then told me that the argentine expression is "Ni fi, ni fo." Can anyone out there give me a good translation for this expression? Did we accurately express the same meaning? Thanks for any (stage) light that can be shed on this. See you in a couple of days! Hasta pronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home