Free thoughts on language learning

Discussions on learning Spanish, English and other language issues. Occasionally, we may stray from language learning topics if there is something that catches my interest.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Fortuitous encounter with a Spanish poem and translation

Riding the subways in New York City I saw a poem posted that I thought you all might enjoy. The author, who I am not familiar with, is Alicia Partnoy (b. 1955) and this poem is from her collection, "Venganza de la Manzana" (Revenge of the Apple).

Yo te hablo de poesia (accent on the "i")
y vos me preguntas (accent on the "a")
a que hora comemos
Lo peor es que
Yo tambien tengo hambre

I am talking to you about poetry
and you say
When do we eat.
The worst of it is
I am hungry too.

Pretty succinct, no? Put them on the balance scale - art, life, art life - which weighs more at the moment?

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...si yo no lloro...
...si yo no lloro,no,
no estoy llorando.
Es sólo un grito de agua
que se escapa
por entre las fisuras
de mi cuerpo...

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Marcos Dinnerstein said...

Thanks. That's a nice gift. Who's the poet? - Marcos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home